Q: How do I Report Contributions on my taxes?

By September 7, 2007April 29th, 2015Frequently Asked Questions

Report all contributions to your HSA on Form 8889, Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), and file it with your Form 1040.

You must file Form 8889 with your Form 1040 if you (or your spouse, if married filing a joint return) had any activity in your HSA during the year. You must file the form even if only your employer or your spouse’s employer made contributions to the HSA.

You should receive Form 5498-SA, HSA information, from the trustee showing the amount contributed to your HSA during the year. Your employer’s contributions also will be shown in box 12 of Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, with code W.  Follow the instructions for Form 8889.  Report your HSA deduction on Form 1040, line 25.

Leave a Reply